Hyperactive behavior in kids is quite a sensitive matter. We at iQuriousKids.com took the heed to spread awareness about ‘hyper-active behavior’ and hope to help your kids grow both mentally and physically.
It is a matter of great concern when we see our kids having trouble staying focused, easily getting distracted or becoming bored with a task even before it’s completed. This makes us look for ways which will help us resolve their behavioral issues and calm their minds. Read ahead for such suggestions and activities –
- Channel their energy
Look for sources to channel their extra energy into – such as different after-school activities that will help them expend their energy and/or calm their minds. Hyper-active kids may have the dire need to run around and play a lot so enrolling them in different activities will not only keep them occupied but could also provide physical and mental benefits for them.
- Segment tasks for your kiddo
It is sometimes difficult for a kid with hyperactive behavior to follow and remember a long list of instructions. Instead, consider breaking the tasks down into smaller chunks. A written or pictorial step-by-step list allows a child with hyperactivity to focus on one small step at a time. This way, your kid will be able to focus on one aspect at one time – meeting their mental processing needs and setting them up for success!
- Help them deal with their feelings
Children with hyperactivity may find it difficult to handle anger, sadness, and worry. So, give them your complete attention and lend an ear to listen to their concerns, interests, and apprehensions. This way, you can help them deal with their emotions and differentiate between what they’re feeling.
Other relevant tips:
- Consider minimizing distractions and/or screen time at home. Take the kids out for field trips and have them practice patience to deeply calm their minds.
- You could even choose to reward them for good manners such as listening to you, sticking to their routine etc.
In addition to these tips, you can indulge them in activities like
- Martial Arts – Martial arts actually help teach self-discipline and socialization skills, self-control and concentration and is a great way to burn energy!
- Outdoor sports – Various outdoor activities like football, baseball, hockey, basketball etc., can be great activities for hyperactive kids. It helps to keep them focused and move around simultaneously, thus catering to their physical and mental needs at the same time.
- Music sessions – Music is a soothing source of relaxation throughout a kid’s lifetime. It allows him/ her to become socially involved in a musical group and teaches important life skills, such as how to cooperate with others, work as a team, appreciate the rewards and break out of the social shell too.
- Swimming classes – Swimming is a great exercise for hyperactive kids as it offers constant movement and self-discipline with various health benefits, which makes it easy for them to burn energy and calories.
- Theatre – Theatre is a creative activity that encourages practice, coordination, sharp memory, stage confidence, and social skills. It can motivate hyperactive kids to overcome personal challenges and hone their public-speaking skills.
These were some activities and tips you can use to calm your hyperactive kiddo’s mind. If you want to enroll them in these sort of after-school activities, then look through the wide range of activities available on iQuriouskids.com!
(Source: mheducation.co.uk – case studies)